Blog Post Image
Real Estate

Did you buy a home in 2017?

Now is time for filing your homestead exemption in the country where the property is located.

What is a Residential Homestead Exemption?

A homestead exemption removes part of the value of your property from taxation and therefore lowers the amount of your property taxes. Your home qualifies for an exemption if 1) you own it, and 2) it is your principal place of residence in January, when the county assesses annual property taxes. The amount of the exemption depends on state and county laws

When should you file:

You should file your regular residential homestead exemption application between January 1 and April 30. Early applications will not be accepted. If your application is postmarked by April 30, this will allow the district time to process it before your tax statement comes out in the fall.

Does a Homestead Exemption give me a break on my taxes?

Homestead exemptions remove part of your home's value from taxation, so they lower your taxes.
For example, your home is appraised at $100,000, and you qualify for a $25,000 exemption (this is the amount mandated for school districts), you will pay school taxes on the home as if it was worth only $75,000. Taxing units have the option to offer a separate exemption of up to 20 percent of the total value.


Harris County
If your property is located in Harris county, you can download the app and file online or print out the Harris County Application for Residential Homestead Exemption form , fill it out and mail back to Harris County Appraisal District, P. O. Box 922012, Houston, Texas 77292-2012 along with the supporting documentation from above. If you have any questions about how to complete the form, you can email or call me.

Fort Bend County
If your property is located in Fort Bend County, you can download the Fort Bend County homestead exemption application, and mail back to:

Fort Bend Central Appraisal District
2801 B.F. Terry Blvd.
Rosenberg, Texas 77471-5600

If you have questions, please call the Tax Office at 281-341-3710


Here again you will need to provide supporting documentation Copy of drivers license showing the address of the property and
Copy of car registration with the property address. In the absence of a vehicle, you can provide a utility bill with that address or complete a notarized affidavit


All the best